Studying in Australia can be an exciting and life-changing experience, but before embarking on this journey, it’s important to understand the visa requirements and application process.
The Australian student visa is a crucial document that allows international students to study in Australia for a specific period. However, the visa application process can be complex and overwhelming. This guide provides a comprehensive overview of the Australian student visa application process.
Types of Student Visa in Australia
The Student Visa (subclass 500)
The primary visa for foreign students who want to study in Australia is the student visa subclass 500. Information on the subclass 500 student visa is provided below:
1. Eligibility: In order to qualify for the student visa subclass 500, you must have been accepted into a full-time degree at an Australian educational institution and possess sufficient funds to maintain yourself while you are a visitor to Australia.
2. Application procedure: You can apply for the student visa subclass 500 online. You’ll need to meet a number of requirements, including confirmation that you’re enrolled in a recognized course, proof that you can support yourself financially, and proof that you can speak English fluently.
3. Visa duration: You may remain in Australia up to 5 years and for as long as necessary to complete your studies.
5. Work privileges: The student visa subclass 500 permits you to perform both full- and part-time jobs while you are enrolled in classes.
6. Health insurance: Throughout the duration of your stay in Australia as an international student, you must obtain health insurance.
Temporary Graduate Visa Holders (Subclass 485)
The Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485) is a visa program in Australia that allows international students who have completed their studies to live and work in Australia temporarily after graduation. The Subclass 485 visa has two streams: the Graduate Work stream and the Post-Study Work stream.
1. The Graduate Work stream is for international students who have completed a qualification in Australia that is relevant to an occupation on the skilled occupation list. This stream allows graduates to stay in Australia for up to 18 months.
2. The Post-Study Work stream is for international students who have completed a Bachelor’s, Master’s, or PhD degree in Australia. This stream allows graduates to stay in Australia for 2-4 years, depending on the highest qualification they have obtained.
3. To be eligible for the Subclass 485 visa, students must have completed at least two years of study in Australia, meet the English language proficiency requirements, and be under the age of 50.
Student Guardian (Subclass 590)
The Student Guardian (Subclass 590) visa is for those who need to accompany a student who is under 18 years of age or has a disability to study in Australia. The visa holder can stay in Australia for the same length of time as the student’s visa.
The visa holder can work in Australia for up to 20 hours per week. The applicant must meet health and character requirements and have enough money to support themselves and their dependent children while in Australia.
Australian Student Visa Requirements
Australian student visa applicants need to have an offer of enrollment from a registered educational institution, demonstrate English proficiency, provide evidence of sufficient funds, undergo a health examination, and obtain health insurance coverage.
- For undergraduate programs, students must have completed secondary education that is equivalent to the Australian Year 12 level, such as GCE A-Levels, International Baccalaureate, or a recognized foundation programs
- For postgraduate programs, students must have completed a bachelor’s degree or higher qualification from a recognized institution.
- Students must meet the English language proficiency requirements set by their chosen institution, which usually involves taking an English language test such as IELTS or TOEFL.
- Students must also meet any specific academic requirements set by their chosen institution or program, such as prerequisite courses or minimum GPA.
Australia Student Visa Requirements (excluding academic requirements)
English language proficiency: Candidates must establish their command of the language by passing a recognized English language exam, such as the IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE.
Health and character criteria: Students may be required to submit to a medical examination, obtain a police certificate, and meet specific health and character requirements.
Financial capacity: Students must show that they have the money to pay their tuition, living costs, and travel expenditures.
Throughout the duration of their stay in Australia, students must acquire Overseas Student Health Insurance (OSHC).
Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement: Students must show proof that they want to study in Australia for a limited time and depart afterward.
Application fee for visas: Applicants are required to pay the application fee for visas, which varies based on the kind of visa and the intended duration of stay.
Health requirements: Students may need to get a health checkup and get health insurance to cover any medical costs they may incur while studying abroad in Australia.
Students must be of excellent moral character and have no criminal records in order to be granted an Australian student visa.
How to apply for student visa in Australia?
International students must obtain a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from a registered educational institution, complete the online visa application form, and provide supporting documents to apply for a student visa in Australia.
Application Process in Australia for International Students
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to apply for a student visa in Australia for international students in 2023:
- Choose the right visa type: Make sure you are applying for the correct visa type based on your level of study and course duration.
- Necessary documents: Prepare and gather all the required documents, including your passport, proof of enrollment, financial statements, and English language proficiency test results.
- Create an account on the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs website: Start your application process by creating an account on the official website.
- Fill in the online application form: Complete the online application form with accurate and truthful information.
- Pay the visa application fee: Pay the non-refundable visa application fee via the online payment system.
- Biometrics and health checkup: Schedule and attend a biometrics appointment and a health checkup as required.
- Submit the application: Submit the application along with all necessary documents and payment of the visa application fee.
- Wait for the outcome: Wait for the outcome of your application, which may take a few weeks to several months.
- Receive your visa: If your visa is approved, you will receive your visa grant notification electronically. Make sure to check the validity dates and conditions of your visa.
Online Visa Application
The online procedure for applying for an Australian student visa involves the following steps:
-Create an ImmiAccount on the Department of Home Affairs website
-Fill out the online application form
-Upload supporting documents, including proof of enrolment, health insurance, and financial capacity
-Pay the application fee
-Submit the application
Australian Student Visa Fee
The process from Bangladesh is similar to the other countries. In short, you will have to
-Obtain an offer letter from an Australian educational institution.
-Create an account on the Australian government’s ImmiAccount portal.
-Complete the student visa application form online.
-Upload the necessary documents, such as passport, academic transcripts, and proof of financial capacity.
-Pay the visa application fee.
-Attend a biometric appointment, if required.
-Wait for the visa processing time to receive the outcome of the application.
-If approved, receive the visa grant notification and travel to Australia before the visa commencement date.
The student visa application fee and biometric fee from Bangladesh to Australia is AUD 620. This will change based on exchange rates.
The cost of Student Visa Insurance in Australia can vary depending on the insurance provider and the coverage selected. It is a requirement for international students to have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of their stay in Australia.
The cost of OSHC ranges from around AUD $500 to $1,500 per year. It is important to carefully research and compare insurance providers to find the best option for your needs and budget.
Student Visa Scholarships
Australia offers various scholarships for international students who wish to pursue their studies in the country. Some of the scholarships available for international students on student visas in Australia in 2023 include:
1. Australia Awards Scholarships
2. Endeavour Postgraduate Scholarship Awards
3. International Postgraduate Research Scholarships (IPRS)
4. Research Training Program (RTP) Stipend Scholarships
5. University-specific scholarships
Applicants must meet the eligibility criteria and follow the application procedures to be considered for these scholarships.
How the Process of Australian Visa Works
Visa Processing Time
International students’ visa processing times for Australian student visas might vary depending on a number of variables, including their country of origin, the completeness of their application, and other unique conditions.
For many visa subclasses, including student visas, the Department of Home Affairs does, however, publish an expected processing time. By 2023, it is anticipated that 75% of student visa applications will be handled within 45 days and 90% of applications will be processed within 75 days.
Student Visa Work Rights in Australia
International students with an Australian student visa are allowed to work up to 40 hours per fortnight during the semester and full-time during semester breaks. The visa typically allows for work rights for the duration of the course of study.
However, some courses may have restrictions on work rights, such as research-only courses. It is important to check the visa conditions before accepting any employment opportunities.
Recently, the government declared that international graduates with specific degrees in fields where there is a confirmed shortage of skilled labor are eligible for a two-year extension of post-study work privileges.
Student Visa Refusal
Possible reasons for international student visa refusal in Australia include missing or inaccurate documentation, insufficient funds, failure to meet health or character requirements, previous visa cancellations, suspicion of fraudulent activity or intent to breach visa conditions.
Visa Extension in Australia
International students in Australia may need to extend their visa if they wish to stay longer than the duration of their initial visa. To extend your visa, you will need to submit an application before your current visa expires.
The process may vary depending on the type of visa you have and your individual circumstances. In general, you will need to provide proof of financial stability, health insurance, and evidence that you are enrolled in a course of study. It’s important to apply for a visa extension as early as possible to avoid any issues.
Yes, if you are an international student, you need a student visa to study in Australia.
The requirements for an international student visa include a valid passport, a letter of acceptance from an Australian educational institution, sufficient financial resources, English proficiency, and health insurance.
The processing time for an international student visa from Bangladesh can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months, depending on the complexity of the application and other factors.
Yes, international students with a valid student visa can work up to 40 hours per fortnight during their study period and full-time during breaks.
In conclusion, studying in Australia as an international student from Bangladesh can be an enriching and rewarding experience. With the right preparation and support, obtaining an Australian student visa can be a smooth and successful process, allowing Bangladeshi students to pursue their academic and career goals in a welcoming and diverse environment.